|Object ID||14|| |
|Status||Not On Display|
|Collection ID||Petter Collection|
|Made By||Petters Ltd|
|Made In||Yeovil, England|
|Description||Four cylinder supercharged two stroke vertical diesel.|
This engine is held in store at the moment but we hope that it will eventually be used to restore the second engine in the Knocker White tug currently at The Museum of London. Fitted with two SS4 Petter engines, probably the only remaining installation of its type.
|Location||Power Hall 2|
From Longford Mills, Stroud, Gloucestershire. Last used for driving a 3 phase genset to provide power at the mill. SS 4RA504 (576 HP) was originally despatched from the Factory 31.3 1947.
Sent to Mc Call Bros of Trowbridge, Wiltshire. Engine was sent with a Compressor set eng no 51340 comp set NC16586. Wedge type pistons fitted on 26.7.1950.
Engine transferred to Trinity Buoy Wharf for possible use in Knocker White (or display)
|Conservation/ Maintenance History|Initial Report
Arrived from Longford Mills minus flywheel, outrigger bearing, oil cooler and various minor parts
Cosmetic and Other Work
Because of the general state, covered in builder rubble etc the engine was cleaned and painted.
A frame was built and using components from a beyond repair twin cylinder the engine was built up into a displayable condition.
Minor work still needed to fuel system and governor rods.